Prep 5 mins
Ready in 15 mins
3 cups plain flour
2 Tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
100g cold butter
2 cups grated cheese
1 1/4 cup milk
1. Preheat oven to 210°C. Line two oven trays with baking paper.
2. Sift flour, baking powder and salt into a large bowl. Grate butter, add to the bowl and use clean hands to rub butter into the flour, until mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Add half the grated cheese and mix to combine.
3. Make a well in the centre of the mixture and pour milk in. Use a butter knife to gently mix. Use clean hands to bring the mixture together to form a dough ball (mixture should still be quite moist). Be careful not to overmix, as this will make the scones tough.
4. Tear dough into 12 portions. Place onto prepared trays (spaced 4-5cm apart) and flatten slightly with the palm of your hand (about 2cm thick). Sprinkle remaining grated cheese over each scone.
5. Bake for about 12 minutes or until golden and just cooked through. Swap trays halfway to ensure even cooking. If desired, grill scones for last minute of cook time for a crispy, golden cheese top.
6. To Serve, cut scones in half horizontally and spread generously with butter.