Coffee and walnuts are a cake-match made in heaven, but add in gooey dates, sticky-sweet maple, combined with a rich, chocolatey drizzle and you’re in for a real treat. This cake recipe has been developed in conjunction with our in-house dietitian, so you can be rest assured that it’s Fresh Start approved!
Coffee, Date & Walnut Cake
- 15×15 baking dish/square cake tin
- 1.25 cups boiling water
- 2 tsp instant coffee
- 350 g dates chopped (make sure they're pitted!)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 Tbs maple syrup
- 150 g wholemeal flour
- 25 g walnuts chopped
- pinch salt
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 2 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- Before you startPreheat oven to 180°C (or 160°C fan bake). Bring a full kettle of water to the boil. Line a 15×15 baking dish/cake tin with baking paper.
- Soak datesCombine dates, coffee, boiling water maple syrup and baking soda in a large, heat-proof bowl and set aside for 45 mins to soften.
- Bake cakeOnce dates are soft, add wholemeal flour, chopped walnuts and a pinch of salt and mix well. Pour into prepared baking dish and bake in the oven for about 30 minutes, until cooked. The cake will spring back when pressed, but will still feel quite moist in the middle. Allow to cool completely.
- Make cocoa drizzleMelt coconut oil and combine in a small bowl with maple syrup and cocoa. Mix to combine and pour over the cooled cake. Place in the fridge to set for about 5 minutes.
- To finishCut cake into 12 slices and enjoy! Store in an air-tight container in the fridge.
You can find more deliciously healthy Fresh Start friendly recipes here!