These super easy vegetarian skillet cakes are a delicious addition to your weeknight meals! Perfect for Meat-Free Monday and for lunches, too.
Courgette & Smashed Broccoli Skillet Cakes
- 1 broccoli finely chopped
- 2 courgettes grated
- 1 red onion finely diced
- ¼ cup milk
- 4 eggs
- 1½ tsp salt
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 drizzle oil
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp honey
- 2 tsp vinegar
- 1 tsp wholegrain mustard
- ½ punnet cherry tomatoes halved
- 2 carrots peeled into ribbons
- 1 radish thinly sliced
- 1 cos lettuce leaves separated
- 25 g sliced almonds
- Tomato chutney or tomato sauce optional
- Before you start, bring a small pot of water to the boil. Preheat BBQ hot plate to medium-high (if using).
- Prep broccoli and cook in pot of boiling water for about 3 minutes, until tender. Drain, add to a large bowl and roughly smash with a potato masher. Prep courgette and onion and add to bowl with all remaining cake ingredients (except oil). Season with pepper and mix well to combine.
- Heat oil in a large non-stick fry-pan on medium heat. Dollop ⅓ cup measures of cake mix into pan and cook, in batches, for 3-4 minutes each side, until golden and cooked through. Season with a little salt and set aside, covered, to keep warm between batches. Alternatively, cook cakes on BBQ hot plate.
- Add oil, honey, vinegar and mustard to a large bowl and whisk to combine. Prep tomatoes, carrot, radish and lettuce. Add to the bowl with the dressing and almonds , toss to combine and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve courgette cakes topped with tomato chutney and salad on the side.