Delight in the decadence of this rich, delicious dark chocolate and hazelnut mousse, topped with salted caramel covered popcorn. By switching out the butter with a plant-based alternative, the recipe is a wonderful plant-based dessert.
Dark Chocolate & Hazelnut Mousse with Caramel Popcorn
- ⅓ cup caster sugar
- 2 Tbsp water
- ½ cup coconut cream
- 2 Tbsp butter or plant-based butter
- ½ tsp salt
- 100 g dark chocolate roughly chopped
- 2½ Tbsp hazelnut butter
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup or honey
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil melted
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract optional
- 245 ml cashew cream
- 2 cups sea salt popcorn
- 2 Tbsp chopped hazelnuts
- Place sugar and water measure in a small saucepan on medium heat. Bring to a simmer and cook for about 1 minute, undisturbed, until sugar dissolves. Once sugar has dissolved, increase heat to medium-high and cook without stirring, occasionally swirling pan, until sugar is an amber caramel colour (about 4-5 minutes). Do not stir, as this will cause it to crystallise.
- Once sugar is an amber colour, immediately remove pot from heat and carefully whisk in coconut cream, until combined. Once coconut cream is incorporated, whisk in butter (see tip) and salt to melt. Pour caramel into heat-proof bowl, over and place into the fridge to cool.
- Prep chocolate and place in a medium heat-proof bowl along with hazelnut butter, maple syrup, coconut oil, vanilla extract (if using) and a pinch of salt.
- Place cashew cream in a small pot and bring to a simmer on medium-high heat. Once simmering, pour hot cream over chocolate mixture in bowl and let sit for 1 minute. After 1 minute, whisk well, until smooth and all chocolate has melted. Cover and place into fridge to chill, until completely cooled.
- Once chocolate mousse has cooled, whip on high speed with an electric hand-held beater for about 1 minute, until lighter and paler in colour. Pipe or spoon mousse into 4 serving glasses or jars and place into the fridge for about 1 hour, until set.
- Just before serving, toss popcorn and hazelnuts in a medium bowl with half of the salted caramel.
- Serve chocolate mousse topped with caramel popcorn. Drizzle over any remaining salted caramel, if desired.