Chai Spiced Loaf
- 1¼ cup plant-based milk
- 2 chai spiced tea bags
- ⅓ cup oil e.g. olive oil
- ½ cup plain unsweetened yoghurt
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2½ cups wholemeal flour
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
- 8 dates chopped
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground cardamom
- ¼ tsp ground clove
- Pinch of salt
- Before you start, preheat oven to 180°C. Bring a half full kettle to the boil.
- Prep dates and soak in boiling water for about 10 minutes. Drain.
- In a small pot, bring milk to a simmer. Remove from heat, add tea bags and allow to steep for 5 minutes. Remove tea bags from pot.
- Add oil, yoghurt, vanilla and maple syrup to pot with chai milk. Whisk to combine.
- In a large bowl, sift in flour, baking powder, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, cardamom, clove and salt and mix to combine. Add dates and wet ingredients to bowl with dry mix. Mix together until just combined, being careful not to over-mix.
- Pour mixture into loaf tin and bake in oven for about 40 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean and top is golden. Allow to cool in tin for about 5 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely. Once fully cooled, store in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Meet the Expert
Harriet is one of our Fresh Start Experts, here to help you with all your nutrition and healthy lifestyle questions. With degrees in Human Nutrition and Marketing Management from the University of Otago, she knows a thing or two about health and nutrition. From small town Kaikoura, New Zealand, Harriet has always had a passion and interest in what makes up a healthy balanced lifestyle. A true believer in making simple whole foods into nutritious tasty meals that make you feel great. Her favourite go-to snack is peanut butter on anything! YUM! If you would like to check out what else she gets up to when not here at My Food Bag you can find her on instagram @harriet_well.