It wouldn’t be a morning tea in New Zealand sausage rolls, and we’ve taken this humble Kiwi classic to a whole new level. Our ultimate free range pork and veggie version is wrapped in pastry, crisped to perfection and served with super seed slaw and Nadia’s epic tomato sauce.
Kiwi As Pork Sausage Rolls with Super Seed Slaw
- 1 brown onion finely diced
- 1 apple grated
- 1 drizzle oil
- ½ tsp salt
- 500 g classic pork grind
- 50 g breadcrumbs
- 1 pack (375g) flaky puff pastry
- 1 egg
- ½ tsp sesame seeds
- 1 beetroot grated
- 350 g slaw
- 4 Tbsp yoghurt
- 1 bunch parsley finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp tomato sauce
- Super seeds (10g pumpkin seeds, 10g hemp seeds, 10g sunflower seeds)
- Before you start, preheat oven to 220°C (or 200°C fan bake).
- Prep onion and apple. Heat oil in a medium fry-pan on medium-high heat. Cook onion with salt for 3-4 minutes, until starting to soften. Add to a large bowl with apple, pork and breadcrumbs. Mix well to combine.
- Cut pastry in half lengthways. Divide filling into two and shape into long sausages along centre of the pastry. Roll up pastry to form two long sausage rolls. Cut each roll into 4 even-sized pieces and place on a lined oven tray, seam side down.
- Whisk egg, then brush over sausage rolls and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake for 18-22 minutes, or until pastry is puffed and golden and pork is cooked through.
- Prep beetroot and toss in a large bowl with slaw and yoghurt. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- To finish, prep parsley.
- Serve sausage rolls with slaw and tomato sauce on the side. Sprinkle slaw with seeds and parsley.