You can’t beat a classic and this is on of the best! The Kiwi As Bacon & Egg Pie is super easy to prepare and pop in the oven, resulting in a delicious golden, cheesy top and yummy filling. The fresh orange salad is a delish addition on the side.
The Kiwi As Bacon & Egg Pie
- ½ red onion thinly sliced
- 300 g shoulder bacon sliced 3cm
- 6 eggs
- 375 g flaky puff pastry
- 50 g grated Parmesan
- 1 Tbsp milk
- 1 baby cos lettuce chopped
- 2 tomatoes cut into wedges
- 1 orange peeled & diced
- 25 g sliced almonds
- 1 drizzle oil
- 2 tsp vinegar
- 4 Tbsp tomato sauce
- Before you start, preheat oven to 200°C. Grease a medium baking dish.
- Prep onion and bacon. Crack two eggs into baking dish, break the yolks, season with pepper and a pinch of salt. Sprinkle a third of the onion and place a third of the bacon on top in an even layer. Repeat with remaining eggs, onion and bacon. Sprinkle top layer with Parmesan.
- Unroll pastry and prick in a few places with a fork. Place on top of pie and crimp the edges down using the back of the fork. Trim off any excess pastry and brush top with milk. Bake for about 40 minutes, until cooked through.
- Prep lettuce, tomato and orange. Toss in a medium bowl with almonds, oil and vinegar. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve pie with salad and tomato sauce.
*This recipe featured in Bargain Box.
Meet the Chef
Ary develops all of the recipes that go into our Bargain Boxes. One of his biggest passions is sharing food and teaching people how to cook, so now that he creates recipes weekly, he literally gets to teach thousands of people new and exciting things! His favourite produce in New Zealand broccoli – it’s crispy and vibrant and he even grows it at home! It’s one of the veggies he never tires of. His biggest food weakness (because we all have one!) is crispy fried chicken that speaks right to his soul when it’s done right – though he’s such a lover of sharing a good meal that he’d prefer to stay in and cook a family meal over going out to eat.