Transport your taste buds with this delish Korean Beef Meatball Bowl that’s packed with flavour.
Korean Beef Meatball Bowl with Quick Cucumber Kimchi
- 300 g jasmine rice
- 2¼ cups boiling water
- 1 telegraph cucumber cut in half & thinly sliced on an angle
- 2 baby bok choy thinly sliced
- 2 radishes thinly sliced
- 2 tsp chilli flakes (use less if you don't like spice)
- 1 Tbsp vinegar
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 spring onion thinly sliced
- 600 g beef mince
- 50 g breadcrumbs
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp honey
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- 1 drizzle oil
- 40 g gochujang sauce store-bought or Culley's Korean BBQ Sauce
- 10 g gochujang sauce store-bought or Culley's Korean BBQ Sauce
- 2 Tbsp mayonnaise
- Before you start, bring a full kettle to the boil.
- Combine rice, boiling water measure and a pinch of salt in a medium pot and bring to the boil with the lid on. Once boiling, reduce to lowest heat to cook for 12 minutes. Turn off heat and steam, covered, for 5 more minutes. Do not lift lid during cooking.
- Prep cucumber, bok choy and radish. Combine with chilli flakes, vinegar and soy sauce in a medium bowl. Season with salt. Set aside.
- Prep spring onion and mix in a large bowl with remaining meatball ingredients (except oil and gochujang sauce), until well combined. Roll into golf ball-sized balls.
- Heat oil in a large fry-pan on medium-high heat. Cook meatballs for 10-15 minutes, until browned and cooked through. Add first measure of gochujang sauce to pan and toss to coat meatballs. Season with pepper.
- In a small bowl, mix second measure of gochujang sauce with mayonnaise.
- Serve rice topped with meatballs and gochujang mayo. Serve kimchi on the side.
*This recipe featured in the My Classic Bag.
Meet the Chef
Danny ‘Doughnut’ loves that food has the ability to bring people together, bring joy, stir up memories, and evoke nostalgia. In his case, this food is pork belly cooked Korean BBQ style, which he ate every Saturday with his family growing up. In fact, Danny loves it so much he even made his wife promise to make Korean BBQ Pork every weekend in her wedding vows. True story! Not only is Danny a whizz in the kitchen, he is also an avid baseball player who takes to the field with the team he founded with a group of friends in 2015.