Flavours abound in this delicious recipe for a plant-based tempeh bowl. Be sure to check out our tip at the bottom to make sure you cook your tempeh nice and crispy.
Plant-Based Tempeh Bowl with Pineapple Slaw & Paprika Aioli
- 1 can black beans drained & rinsed
- 150 g supergrains (or quinoa)
Corn & Slaw
- 2 corn cobs kernels removed
- 1 drizzle oil
- 1 can pineapple chunks drained & juice reserved
- 350 g slaw
- 1 drizzle olive oil
- 2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 250 g tempeh thinly sliced
- 1 drizzle oil
- 1 tsp smoky salt (or ¾ tsp salt mixed with ¼ tsp paprika)
- ⅓ cup BBQ sauce
- 1 avocado cut into wedges
- 1 green chilli thinly sliced (optional)
- 2 Tbsp coriander leaves
- 4 Tbsp smoked paprika aioli (store-bought or 4 Tbsp plain aioli mixed with ½ tsp smoked paprika)
- Before you start, bring a medium pot of salted water to the boil.
- Prep black beans. Cook supergrains in pot of boiling water on high heat for about 25 minutes, until tender. Drain well and return to pot with black beans. Season to taste with salt.
- Lay corn lengthways on a chopping board. Use a sharp knife to cut the kernels off one side of the cob. Rotate the cob so it is laying on the flat side. Continue cutting and rotating, until all kernels have been removed. Drain pineapple (reserving juice from can) and roughly chop.
- Heat oil in a large, non-stick fry-pan on high heat. Cook corn with a pinch of salt for 3-4 minutes, tossing occasionally, until tender and charred. Remove corn from pan and set aside for serving. Wipe pan clean and reserve.
- Prep avocado, chilli and coriander and set aside to serve. In a medium bowl, toss pineapple, slaw, olive oil and red wine vinegar together with 4 Tbsp reserved pineapple juice. Season to taste with salt.
- Cut tempeh into thin strips (see tip below). When supergrains have 10 minutes cook time remaining, cook tempeh. Heat oil in reserved pan on medium-high heat. Cook tempeh for 2-3 minutes each side, until golden. Sprinkle with smoky salt measure and remove pan from heat. Add BBQ sauce and toss to coat tempeh.
- Serve supergrains, slaw, tempeh and avocado topped with corn, smoked paprika aioli, chilli and coriander.
*This recipe is featured in My Plant Based bag.
**Check out our other plant based & vegetarian recipes and other content here.
Meet the Chef
Amelia, or better known by her foodie fam as Melie, manages the development of our Plant Based and Veggie bags, so has the interesting job of creating new and delicious meals with alternative proteins. She is a vegetarian who hates eggs but has a big love for pumpkin due to its versatility. Her favourite cuisine has to be Middle Eastern, which makes a whole lot of sense considering her ultimate plant based proteins are chickpeas and falafel (of course!).