We’d hate to deny you the deliciousness of savoury muffins when on our Fresh Start 8 Week Challenge, so our nutritionist Emma came up with this tasty recipe that ticks all the boxes nutritionally.
Introducing our Healthier Savoury Muffins – you still get plenty of cheese, but we’ve also added in a bunch of veggies too.
If you’re not going to get through all 12 during the week, freeze some. That way you’ve always got healthy snacks on hand!
If you like this recipe, you’ll also love our Fresh Start Veg-Packed Wholemeal Scones with Feta!
Healthier Savoury Muffins
- ½ cup frozen corn
- 1 courgette, grated
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 cup edam cheese, grated
- ½ cup milk
- ¼ cup natural, unsweetened yoghurt
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups wholemeal flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- Before you start, preheat oven to 180°C. Bring a small pot of salted water to the boil. Line or lightly grease a 12 hole muffin tin.
- Add corn to pot of boiling water and cook for 1 minute. Drain, rinse under cold water then drain again very well. Grate courgette and carrot then use clean hands to squeeze out as much liquid as possible. Add all to a large bowl.
- Prep cheese and add to bowl, along with milk, yoghurt, olive oil and eggs. Mix, until combined. Combine wholemeal flour and baking powder in a bowl, before gently folding through wet mixture, until just combined (see tip).
- Spoon mixture evenly into muffin tin, then bake for 20-25 minutes, until an inserted skewer comes out clean. Allow to cool in tin for 5 minutes, before turning out and cooling entirely.
Be careful not to over-mix your mixture or the muffins may become tough. Energy 697 kJ | 167 kCal | Carbohydrates 15.4 g | Protein 6.7 g | Fat 8 g