Who knew that sweetcorn made such a scrumptious dessert?! In our Sweetcorn Maple Cake, mouth-watering maple syrup icing adds a subtle layer of sweetness to balance out the yummy flavours of this easy recipe. It’s the perfect any-time treat.
Sweetcorn Maple Cake
- 1 cup flour
- ¾ cup cornmeal
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 cup frozen corn defrosted
- 65 g butter melted
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1¼ cups milk
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp butter at room temperature
- ½ cup icing sugar
- Preheat your oven to 180°C. Grease an oven-proof fry-pan or medium baking dish.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, salt, baking powder and sugar. Stir through corn.
- In another bowl, whisk together butter, oil, eggs and milk.
- Transfer wet ingredients to dry ingredients and use a spatula to mix, until just combined. Do not over-mix or you will end up with a chewy, dense cake.
- Transfer batter to reserve dish and bake for 30-35 minutes, until golden and cooked through.
- In a small bowl, combine icing ingredients, until thick. Pour icing over hot, cooked cake.
- Once cake has cooled slightly, cut into slices and serve.