These BBQ Haloumi Burgers are a delicious vegetarian alternative to a classic burger. It’s packed with tasty veggies and spiced haloumi for yumminess in every bite!
BBQ Haloumi Burgers with Capsicum & Aioli
- 400 g haloumi cheese sliced 1cm
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp sweet paprika
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp mustard powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- 1 drizzle oil
- 1 capsicum thinly sliced
- 1 brown onion thinly sliced
- ½ iceberg lettuce thinly sliced
- 2 tomatoes thinly sliced
- 1 drizzle oil
- 6 sesame burger buns cut in half
- 4 Tbsp garlic aioli or mix 2 cloves minced garlic with 4 Tbsp mayonnaise
- Before you start, preheat oven to 220°C (or 200°C fan bake).
- Prep haloumi and place in a medium bowl with BBQ spices. Toss to coat and set aside.
- Prep capsicum, onion, lettuce and tomato. Set aside separately.
- Heat oil in a large fry-pan on medium-high heat. Add capsicum and onion and cook for about 6 minutes, until golden and tender. Transfer to a medium bowl.
- Return pan to medium-high heat with oil. Add haloumi and cook for about 2 minutes each side, until golden.
- Prep buns and place on an oven tray. Cook in oven for 1-2 minutes each side, until toasted.
- Serve buns filled with garlic aioli, lettuce, veggies and haloumi.
Meet the Chef
Ary develops all of the recipes that go into our Bargain Boxes. One of his biggest passions is sharing food and teaching people how to cook, so now that he creates recipes weekly, he literally gets to teach thousands of people new and exciting things! His favourite produce in New Zealand broccoli – it’s crispy and vibrant and he even grows it at home! It’s one of the veggies he never tires of. His biggest food weakness (because we all have one!) is crispy fried chicken that speaks right to his soul when it’s done right – though he’s such a lover of sharing a good meal that he’d prefer to stay in and cook a family meal over going out to eat.