Wanting to add more plant based, veggie or flexitarian meals to your menu in 2021? My Food Bag has you covered! We know it can be a little tricky to know how to cook without meat if you’re not used to it, so let us do the hard work for you by designing nutritious, delicious meals that are interesting, easy to cook and will keep you enjoying your new lifestyle!
We have three options for you to choose from, click on the titles to learn more!:
- Seasonally-inspired vegan recipes that make the best of NZ’s fresh produce
- Perfect for those who follow a vegan diet or just want to eat more plants
- Protein from a range of plant based sources such as legumes, nuts and seeds, tofu and tempeh
- Vegetarian recipes that make use of a range of proteins as well as fresh NZ produce
- Bespoke ingredients developed to add pizzazz to your plate
- Veggie Bag and Plant Based Bag are developed in conjunction with our nutritionist to ensure a healthy plate full of nutrients
- Choose flexitarian recipes each week with My Choice. Every week there are veggie and plant based recipes to choose from, alongside meat-based dishes, so that you can design a week with a mix of both.
- Order 3, 4 or 5 nights for 2 or 4 people
Check out our recipe below for Haloumi Burgers with Beetroot Relish and Basil Pesto – yum! Nadia’s top tip? Adding honey to your caramelised onions is a perfect match for the sharp, salty haloumi.
Haloumi Burgers with Beetroot Relish and Basil Pesto
- 1 red onion
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 150g roasted red capsicum
- 180g haloumi cheese
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 Lebanese cucumber
- ½ bunch mint
- 100g baby spinach
- 2-4 burger buns
- 150g beetroot relish
- 100g basil pesto
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Thinly slice onion. Heat a drizzle of oil in a medium pot on medium-high heat and cook onion for 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until soft. Add sugar, a drizzle of balsamic vinegar and a splash of water and stir to combine. Cook for a further 1 minute. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Peel cucumber into ribbons and chop mint leaves. Add cucumber and mint to a bowl with spinach and a drizzle of vinegar and oil and toss to combine. Season.
- Slice burger buns in half and place cut side up on a lined oven tray. Warm in oven for about 5 minutes. Drain capsicum and slice 2cm.
- Pat haloumi dry, slice into 1cm pieces and sprinkle over spices. Heat a drizzle of oil in a medium fry-pan on medium heat and cook haloumi for 1-2 minutes each side, until golden.
- Serve buns filled with haloumi, onions, capsicum, relish, pesto and salad. Serve any remaining salad on the side.