Seared Beef Eye Fillet with Ricotta Gnudi & Asparagus Emulsion
We've teamed up with our friends at Waiheke gem Tantalus Estate to bring you this simply mouth-watering beef eye fillet recipe.
- 200 g ricotta
- 1 egg
- ½ cup plain flour
- 30 g finely grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 drizzle oil
- 2 tsp butter
- 300 g beef eye fillet
- 1 drizzle oil
- 250 g asparagus ends trimmed
- 40 g pickled cocktail onions
- 50 g rocket
- 2 Tbsp asparagus emulsion
- 1 drizzle olive oil
- Before you start, preheat oven to 220°C (or 200°C fan bake). Bring a medium pot of salted water to the boil.
- In a medium bowl, mix ricotta and egg together, until combined. Add Parmesan, flour and salt and mix well, until no dry spots of flour remain. Use floured hands to roll into tablespoon sized balls. Place on a lined oven tray and place in the fridge to chill.
- Pat beef dry and season with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a medium fry-pan on medium-high heat. Cook beef for 2-3 minutes each side, until browned. Transfer to an oven dish (reserving pan) and cook in oven for about 4 minutes for medium rare (depending on thickness), or cooked to your liking. Rest, covered before slicing thinly.
- Prep asparagus and cook in pot of boiling water for about 3 minutes, until tender. Drain, return to pot, season with salt and pepper and keep warm.
- Cut pickled onions in half and separate layers into petals. Set aside for serving.
- Wipe reserved pan clean and return to medium heat with oil and butter. Cook gnudi for 6-8 minutes, turning often, until golden and cooked through. Be gentle as they will be fragile. Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve beef with gnudi, asparagus and rocket. Top with asparagus emulsion and onion petals. Finish with a drizzle of olive oil.