Blackened BBQ Pork Steaks
- 800 g potatoes cut into chips
- 1 drizzle oil
- ½ garlic clove minced (optional)
- 1 tsp wholegrain mustard
- 1 tsp honey
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp vinegar
- 1 lettuce chopped
- 1 beetroot grated
- 1 orange peeled & diced
- 25 g sliced almonds
- 600 g free farmed pork rump steaks
- BBQ spices see recipe below
- 1 drizzle oil
- Before you start, preheat oven to 220°C (or 200°C fan bake). Preheat BBQ to medium-high (if using)
- Prep potatoes and toss with oil on 1-2 lined oven trays. Spread out in a single layer and season with salt and pepper. Roast for 25-30 minutes, until golden and tender.
- Prep garlic. Add mustard, honey, olive oil, vinegar and garlic to a large bowl and whisk to combine.
- Prep lettuce, beetroot and orange. Add to bowl with dressing and almonds. When ready to serve, toss to combine and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Pat pork dry. Season with salt and pepper and toss with BBQ spices.
- Heat oil in a large fry-pan on medium-high heat and cook pork for 3-4 minutes each side (depending on thickness), until just cooked through. Set aside to rest for a few minutes, before slicing. Alternatively, do this on the BBQ.
- Serve pork and chips with salad on the side.
1 tsp smoked paprika
1/2 tsp sweet paprika
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp mustard powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp ground ginger
Meet the Chef
Ary develops all of the recipes that go into our Bargain Boxes. One of his biggest passions is sharing food and teaching people how to cook, so now that he creates recipes weekly, he literally gets to teach thousands of people new and exciting things! His favourite produce in New Zealand broccoli – it’s crispy and vibrant and he even grows it at home! It’s one of the veggies he never tires of. His biggest food weakness (because we all have one!) is crispy fried chicken that speaks right to his soul when it’s done right – though he’s such a lover of sharing a good meal that he’d prefer to stay in and cook a family meal over going out to eat.