Mushroom Tacos Al Pastor with Charred Pineapple Salsa
Vegan mushroom tacos are a fave. This method of cooking mushrooms results in rich, delicious mushrooms that won't have anyone missing meat. Charred pineapple salsa is a great recipe to have on hand for any Mexican dish.
- 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp chipotle sauce
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 150g fresh pineapple, diced
- 500g portobello mushrooms
- 1 red onion, cut into 1cm wedges
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
Charred Pineapple Salsa
- 250g fresh pineapple, cut into 1cmchunks
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- 1 green chilli, thinly sliced
- ½ lime, juiced
- 1 bunch coriander, finely chopped
- 1 avocado, diced 1 cm
- 12 whole-wheat tortillas
- 100g vegan sour cream or coconut yoghurt
- optional: thinly sliced radishes, coriander and lime wedges
- Preheat oven to 220°C (or 200°Cfan bake).
- Make chipotle-pineapple sauce: In a nutribullet or food processor, blitz garlic, soy sauce, chipotle sauce, smoked paprika and the first measure of pineapple together, until completely smooth. Set aside.
- Cook mushrooms: Tear mushrooms into chunks, roughly 3cm. Toss mushrooms and onion on a large roasting tray with the chipotle-pineapple sauce, until well coated. Drizzle with olive oil and season lightly with salt and pepper. Roast for about 20-25minutes, until tender and sauce has reduced. Toss once during cooking.
- Meanwhile, make charred pineapple salsa: Heat a drizzle of oil in a large fry-pan on high heat. Cook the second measure of pineapple and cumin seeds for 5-6 minutes, tossing occasionally, until lightly charred. Transfer to a bowl and add the remaining salsa ingredients and a pinch of salt. Toss together and set aside to serve.
- Warm tortillas: Wrap tortillas in foil and warm in oven for 10 minutes.
- Serve tortillas filled with vegan sour cream or yoghurt, mushrooms, salsa, radish and coriander. Serve lime wedges on the side for squeezing.