Creamy, rich, comforting…and lower calorie? This pie does it all! You won’t believe how tasty this pie is. It’s packed with veggies and protein too. This recipe is from Nadia Lim’s Fresh Start, Feel Good cookbook.
Creamy Chicken and Thyme Pie with Kumara Parmesan Topping
Kumara Parmesan topping
- 400g orange kumara, peeled and diced
- ½ head cauliflower, stalk and florets roughly diced
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
Creamy chicken and thyme filling
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 550g boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 leek, white and pale green part only, cut in half length ways and thinly sliced
- 2 stalks celery, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp chopped thyme
- 2-3 Tbsp water
- 1 cup salt-reduced chicken stock
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 125g pottle lite sour cream
- 1 Tbsp cornflour, mixed with 1 tbsp cold water
- 2-3 tsp wholegrain mustard
- 2-3 Tbsp chopped parsley
- Sautéed green veggies or green salad
- Preheat oven to high. Bring a medium pot of salted water tot he boil. Set aside a medium casserole or pie dish (about 20–22cm or similar).
- Cook kumara and cauliflower in boiling water for about 15 minutes, until tender. Drain well and tip back into pot. Roughly mash and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- While veggies cook, prepare filling. Heat 1 tsp of the oil in a large fry-pan on high eat. Pat chicken dry, season with salt and pepper, and cook for a bout 3 minutes each side until golden (it does not need to be cooked all the way through), remove from pan and set aside. Keep pan on medium-high heat.
- Add remaining oil to pan and cook leek, celery, garlic, thyme and water for about 4–5 minutes, until soft. Scrape bottom of pan with a wooden spoon to release any pan brownings. Roughly dice chicken into 102 cm pieces. Return diced chicken with any resting juices to pan, along with stock and soy sauce. Bring to a simmer and cook for about 3 minutes, until chicken is cooked through.
- Reduce heat to low, stir through sour cream, cornflour mixture and mustard, and cook for about 1 minute, until the filling has slightly thickened. Remove from heat and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Transfer filling to casserole or pie dish. Top with dollops of mash and roughly spread out with a fork. Sprinkle wit Parmesan and grill (on upper oven rack) for 4–5 minutes. Leave to rest in dish for 5 minutes before garnishing with parsley.
- To serve, portion pie onto plates and serve with sauteed veggies or green salad.