Pumpkin & Orzo Risotto with Crispy Bacon
- 1 brown onion finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 drizzle oil
- 600 g diced pumpkin
- Italian spices 1 tsp oregano, ½ tsp garlic powder, ¼ tsp thyme, 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 courgette grated
- 75 g baby spinach
- 125 g sour cream
- 450 g orzo pasta
- 1 drizzle oil
- 250 g streaky bacon
- 50 g grated Parmesan cheese
- Before you start, preheat oven to high grill. Bring a large pot of salted water to a rolling boil.
- Prep onion and garlic. Heat oil in a large pot on medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic and cook for about 3 minutes, until tender. Add pumpkin, Italian spices and salt and cook for 1 minute, until fragrant. Add stock, bring to a simmer. Once simmering, cover, reduce heat to medium and cook for about 15 minutes, until pumpkin is very tender and liquid has reduced. Add a little water if sauce becomes too dry.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta in pot of boiling water for 9-10 minutes, until just tender. Drain and return to pot with oil to prevent sticking.
- Place bacon in a single layer on an oven tray. Grill for about 5 minutes each side, until golden and crispy. Leave to cool slightly, then roughly chop.
- To finish, grate courgette. Remove sauce from heat and roughly mash pumpkin into a thick sauce. Add courgette, spinach, cooked pasta and sour cream to pot and stir to combine. Add a little water, if needed. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve pasta topped with bacon and Parmesan.
Meet the Chef
Say hello to Gemma ‘Mint’ our Development Kitchen Manager. She’s all the way from the sunny Hawkes Bay and is the brain behind many of our new bags. She’s a lover of Hawkes Bay apples and golden peaches, having grown up in the region, it takes her right back to her childhood. However, her favourite foods are dumplings and freshly baked bread. Gemma loves how she gets to be involved in all the new projects in her role and how we’re constantly creating and evolving with our foodies.