Honey Soy Chicken Drums
- 2 tsp ginger minced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 kg free range chicken drumsticks
- 3 Tbsp honey
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp vinegar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 10 g sesame seeds
- 1½ cups brown rice
- 1 broccoli cut into small florets
- 1 carrot thinly sliced
- 1 baby bok choy thinly sliced
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- 1 Tbsp sweet chilli sauce
- Before you start, preheat oven to 200°C (or 180°C fan bake). Line a large baking dish with baking paper. Bring a medium pot of salted water to the boil.
- Prep ginger and garlic. Mix all chicken ingredients together in a large bowl and pour into baking dish.
- Spread chicken out in a single layer and bake for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and turn to coat in glaze. Bake for a further 20-25 minutes, until chicken is cooked through and glaze is sticky.
- Cook rice in pot of boiling water for about 25 minutes, until tender. Drain well.
- Prep broccoli, carrot and bok choy.
- When chicken has 7 minutes cook time remaining, heat sesame oil in a medium fry-pan on medium-high heat. Cook broccoli and carrot for about 4 minutes, until tender. Add bok choy and cook for a further minute, until bright green and tender. Remove from heat, season with salt and pepper and stir through sweet chilli sauce.
- Serve chicken with veggies and rice.
Meet the Chef
Ary develops all of the recipes that go into our Bargain Boxes. One of his biggest passions is sharing food and teaching people how to cook, so now that he creates recipes weekly, he literally gets to teach thousands of people new and exciting things! His favourite produce in New Zealand broccoli – it’s crispy and vibrant and he even grows it at home! It’s one of the veggies he never tires of. His biggest food weakness (because we all have one!) is crispy fried chicken that speaks right to his soul when it’s done right – though he’s such a lover of sharing a good meal that he’d prefer to stay in and cook a family meal over going out to eat.