These delish Black Forest Energy Balls are a little Christmassy, being rolled in freeze-dried cherries, yum! They store well in the freezer, so you can have a healthy snack on hand should anyone pop in during the silly season.
Black Forest Energy Balls
- 200g pitted dates
- 1 cup ground almonds
- ¾ cup desiccated coconut
- ½ cup rolled oats
- 2 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- 20g whole freeze dried cherries, crumbled
- Bring a full kettle to the boil
- Place dates in a medium heat-proof bowl and cover with boiling water. Leave for about 10 minutes, until starting to soften. Drain well.
- Combine ground almonds, desiccated coconut, rolled oats and cocoa powder in a blender with soaked dates, coconut oil and maple syrup. Blend for 2-3 minutes, until smooth.
- Roll mixture into tablespoon-size balls with clean damp hands and place on a plate/tray. Place in fridge for about 30 minutes to firm up.
- Using clean, dry hands, crumble freeze dried cherries onto a plate. Lightly roll energy balls in cherry crumble.
- Energy balls immediately after rolling in cherries.
Meet the Chef
Amber ‘Agria’ is the brain and taste buds behind our Gourmet and Fresh Start Bags! Her favourite part of the role? Creating the recipes and eating them, of course! When it comes to local, New Zealand produce, Amber sure is a pro. Her favourite has to be asparagus, so she’s especially happy when asparagus season rolls around.