Fish Katsu with Brown Rice Salad & Wasabi Mayo
- 150 g brown rice
- 1 broccoli cut into small florets
- 2 baby bok choy thinly sliced
- 4 radishes cut in half lengthways & thinly sliced
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 lime juiced
- 600 g market fish
- 1 Tbsp cornflour
- 2 Tbsp milk
- ¾ cup wholemeal breadcrumbs
- 2 tsp oil
- 2 Tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 tsp wasabi
- 1 lime cut into wedges
- Before you start, bring a medium pot of salted water to the boil.
- Cook rice in pot of boiling water for about 20 minutes, until tender. Prep broccoli, bok choy and radish. Add broccoli to pot for final 3 minutes of cook time. Drain and return to pot with bok choy, radish, soy sauce and lime juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Pat fish dry and remove any scales or bones. Cur larger fillets in half and season with salt and pepper. Toss in a large bowl with cornflour. Add milk and toss well. Place breadcrumbs in a second large bowl. Coat fish 1 piece at a time in crumbs, shaking off the access as you go.
- Heat half the oil in a large fry-pan on medium-high heat. Cook fish in batches for 2-3 minutes each side (depending on thickness), until golden and just cooked through. Use second half of oil for second batch. Season fish with salt and pepper.
- To finish, mix mayonnaise and wasabi together in a small bowl. Prep lime.
- Serve rice topped with fish. Dollop over wasabi mayonnaise and serve lime wedges on the side for squeezing.
Meet the Chef
Amber ‘Agria’ is the brain and taste buds behind our Gourmet and Fresh Start Bags! Her favourite part of the role? Creating the recipes and eating them, of course! When it comes to local, New Zealand produce, Amber sure is a pro. Her favourite has to be asparagus, so she’s especially happy when asparagus season rolls around.