Te Mana Lamb Rump with Lentil Ratatouille & Buffalo Yoghurt
Cook like a gourmet chef in the comfort of your own home with this mouth-watering recipe by Kiwi chef Hayden McMillan from Wellington restaurant Floriditas.
- 1 carrot finely diced
- ½ red onion finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 courgette finely diced
- 1 can beluga lentils drained & rinsed
- ½ bunch parsley roughly chopped
- 1½ Tbsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 250 g chicken broth
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 350 g lamb rump
- ¼ tsp ground fennel
- ¼ tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp ground coriander
- 1 drizzle oil
- ½ bunch mint leaves picked
- 100 g yoghurt
- 1 drizzle oil
- Before you start, preheat oven to 220°C (or 200°C fan bake).
- Prep carrot, onion, garlic, courgette, lentils and parsley. Set aside.
- Combine sugar and oil in a medium pot on medium heat. Cook for 3-4 minutes, until sugar has turned a caramel colour (see note below). Remove from heat and add broth and vinegar. Return to medium heat and bring to a simmer. Simmer for about 2 minutes, until caramel has dissolved. Add tomatoes, paprika, carrot, onion, garlic and salt and bring back to a simmer.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 15 minutes, until sauce has thickened and vegetables are nearly tender. Add lentils and courgette and cook for a further 5 minutes, until tender. Season to taste with salt and pepper and stir through parsley.
- Pat lamb dry, season with salt and pepper and coat in spices. Heat oil in an oven-proof fry-pan on medium-high heat. Cook lamb for 2-3 minutes each side, until golden. Transfer lamb to oven and cook for about 8 minutes for medium (depending on thickness), or until cooked to your liking.
- Rest lamb for about 5 minutes, before slicing thinly. Stir any resting juices through lentils. Prep mint.
- Lentils topped with lamb, yoghurt and mint. Drizzle with olive oil.
The oil and sugar will look separated when making the caramel. Don’t worry, it will come together once broth has been added. Be careful when adding broth as the caramel is very hot.