This recipe is from Nadia Lim’s Fresh Start, Feel Good cookbook!
Black Forest Bars
These delish bars are sweet, salty, nutty, sour and chocolatey – the best combination! Way better than any store-bought muesli bar.
- 6 pitted medjool dates
- ¼ cup boiled water
- ½ cup raw or lightly toasted whole almonds
- ½ cup raw or lightly toasted hazelnuts
- ¾ cup desiccated coconut
- ½ cup rolled oats or quinoa flakes
- 2½ Tbsp coconut oil
- 2 Tbsp cacao or dark cocoa powder
- ¾ cup dried cherries or cranberries
- Good pinch of salt
- 60g dark (e.g. 70% cocoa) chocolate, chopped
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- Pinch of salt
- Soak dates in boiling water for 5 minutes until soft
- Place almonds and hazelnuts in a food processor and whizz until fine crumbs. Add coconut, oats, coconut oil, cacao/cocoa, dates and soaking liquid, and most of the cherries/cranberries (reserve 1-1½ Tbsp for the top), and the salt, then pulse until well blended and sticky.
- Press into a square baking tin or dish (about 20x20cm) lined with baking paper, and smooth down firmly with the back of a wet spoon.
- Gently melt chocolate and second measure of coconut oil and pinch of salt together in microwave or double boiler. Drizzle or spread over the mixture in the tin and dot with remaining chopped cherries or cranberries. Chill in the fridge for at least 2 hours before cutting into 16 squares/portions.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks or freeze in zip-lock bags for up to 2 months.
Nutrition information: Energy: 175cals (733kJ) Protein: 3.3g Carbohydrate: 13.1g (11.9g sugars) Fat: 11.8g (5.9g saturated fat)