Lemon & Thyme Roast Chicken with Salsa Verde
Chicken & Veggies
- 2 carrots sliced 3cm
- 300 g Brussels sprouts halved
- 1 lemon zested
- 2 Tbsp thyme finely chopped
- 1 drizzle oil
- 1.1 kg butterflied free range chicken
- 1 drizzle oil
- 600 g potatoes peeled & diced
- ½ cauliflower roughly chopped
- 2 Tbsp butter
- ½ cup milk
- 4 Tbsp salsa verde
- Before you start, preheat oven to 220°C (or 200°C fan bake). Bring a large pot of salted water to the boil.
- Prep carrots and Brussels sprouts. Zest lemon then cut into quarters. Toss veggies, lemon quarters and thyme on a large lined roasting tray with oil. Season with salt and pepper and push veggies to the sides of tray.
- Pat chicken dry and place skin side up in the middle of veggies. Rub with oil and lemon zest and season well with salt and pepper.
- Roast chicken and veggies on middle-upper rack of oven for about 35 minutes, until chicken is cooked through and veggies are tender and golden. The Brussels sprouts will become crispy. Rest chicken.
- Prep potatoes and cauliflower and add to pot of boiling water. Boil potatoes and cauliflower on high heat for 20 minutes, until tender. Drain and return to pot with butter and milk and mash until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Carve chicken, squeeze over roasted lemon and toss in any resting juices. Discard lemon after squeezing.
- Serve mash topped with veggies, chicken and a dollop of salsa verde.
Meet the Chef
Say hello to Gemma ‘Mint’ our Development Kitchen Manager. She’s all the way from the sunny Hawkes Bay and is the brain behind many of our new bags. She’s a lover of Hawkes Bay apples and golden peaches, having grown up in the region, it takes her right back to her childhood. However, her favourite foods are dumplings and freshly baked bread. Gemma loves how she gets to be involved in all the new projects in her role and how we’re constantly creating and evolving with our foodies.