We’re big fans of chipotle with its smoky, sweet and spicy Mexican flavour that instantly adds a flavour punch to any recipe, like this yummy chicken soup. This recipe is from Nadia Lim’s Fresh Start, Feel Good cookbook!
Spicy Chipotle Chicken and Quinoa Soup
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2-3 stalks celery, finely diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and coarsely grated
- 1 Tbsp chopped thyme
- 2-3 Tbsp tomato paste
- 2-3 Tbsp chipotle sauce
- 1½ cups peeled and diced pumpkin or butternut
- 500g boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- ½ cup quinoa or brown rice or wild rice
- 1 litre salt-reduced chicken or vegetable stock
- 2½ cups water
- ½ tsp salt
- Juice of 1 lime or ½ lemon
- ⅓ cup unsweetened natural yoghurt or lite sour cream
- ⅓ cup chopped coriander, basil or parsley
- Heat olive oil in a large stock pot on medium heat. Cook onion, garlic, celery, carrot and thyme, with a good pinch of salt, for about 10 minutes until soft. If at any time the vegetables are beginning to stick to the bottom of the pot, just add a couple of tablespoons of water, stir, and they should unstick.
- Stir in tomato paste and chipotle sauce, then add pumpkin/butternut, chicken thighs, quinoa/rice, stock, water and salt. Cover and bring to a simmer. Simmer for about 20 minutes or until grains are tender.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove chicken pieces to a chopping board and finely dice or shred meat with two forks. Stir back into hot soup. Season to taste with lime or lemon juice, more salt, if needed, and freshly ground black pepper.
- To serve, ladle into bowls, dollop with yoghurt/sour cream and scatter with fresh herbs.