We love this simple Italian dish of grilled chicken, eggplant, rich tomato sauce and gooey melted mozzarella. Best served simply with a green salad or sautéed vegetables. This recipe is from Nadia Lim’s Fresh Start, Feel Good cookbook!
This recipe is from Nadia Lim’s Fresh Start, Feel Good cookbook!
Chicken and Eggplant Parmigiana with Rosemary Roasted Kumara
Rosemary roasted kumara
- 400g red, gold or orange kumara, skin left on, scrubbed and cut into 1-2cm cubes
- 1½ tsp olive oil
- 2 tsp rosemary leaves
- 550g (about 2 large) skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tsp oil
- 400g can crushed tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- ½ tsp dried mixed herbs
- ¼ tsp chilli flakes (optional)
- 1 large eggplant, cut into 1cm slices
- 2 tsp olive oil, for brushing
- ½ cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 2 Tbsp finely grated Parmesan cheese
- Fresh basil leaves, to garnish
- Green salad or sauteed vegetables
- Preheat oven to 200°C and line an oven tray with baking paper.
- Toss kumara with olive oil and rosemary on lined oven tray and season with salt and pepper. Roast for about 15 minutes until golden turning once during cooking.
- Pat chicken breasts dry with paper towels and cut horizontally into thin steaks; to do this, lay on hand flat on top of a chicken breast on a chopping board and use a large sharp knife in the other hand to carefully and evenly slice through horizontally, keeping equal thickness on either side as best you can. Season each piece with salt. Heat oil in a large fry-pan. Brown chicken steaks for 1 minute on each side (do not cook all the way through). Set aside.
- Tip crushed tomatoes into fry-pan chicken was cooked in, stir in tomato paste, dried herbs and chilli flakes (if using), and simmer, stirring frequently, on medium heat for about 8 minutes or until sauce has thickened. Season to taste with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Once kumara is cooked, transfer to a bowl, keep warm and switch oven to grill. Arrange eggplant on same lined tray, brush (or spray) lightly with olive oil and season with salt. Grill for 6-8 minutes, turning halfway through cooking until soft and lightly browned. Transfer to a plate (but keep lined tray).
- Place chicken steaks on lined tray and top with eggplant slices, dividing equally. Spread with tomato sauce then sprinkle with mozzarella and Parmesan. Grill for 5-6 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Garnish parmigiana with basil and serve with roasted kumara and green salad or sauteed vegetables.