Beef Cottage Pie
The whole family will love this classic cottage pie recipe – you're sure to have clean plates all round!
- 800 g potatoes peeled & diced
- 2 Tbsp butter
- ½ cup milk
- 90 g cheese grated
- 1 brown onion diced
- 1 carrot grated
- 1 drizzle oil
- 500 g beef mince
- 1 tsp salt
- Spices (½ tsp onion powder, 1 tsp garlic powder, ½ tsp mustard powder, 2 tsp sweet paprika, 2 tsp beef stock)
- 1 cup water
- 2 Tbsp tomato sauce
- 1 broccoli cut into small florets
- 250 g frozen peas
- Before you start, preheat oven to high grill. Bring a medium pot of salted hot tap water to the boil.
- Prep potatoes and cook in pot of salted water, covered, for about 20 minutes, until tender. Drain and return to pot with butter and milk and mash, until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Prep onion and carrot. Prep broccoli and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large fry-pan on high heat and cook beef for about 4 minutes, until browned. Add onion and salt and cook a further 3 minutes, until starting to soften. Add carrot and spiced and cook for 1 minute, until fragrant. Add water measure and simmer for about 3 minutes, until thickened. Fold through tomato sauce and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Pour beef mix into a baking dish and evenly spread mashed potatoes over beef, until covered. Sprinkle with cheese and grill for 2-4 minutes, until cheese is bubbling and golden.
- Add broccoli and peas to pot of boiling water and cook for about 3 minutes, until bright green and tender. Drain and toss with butter. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve cottage pie with greens.