Broccoli & Cheese Soup with Crusty Bread
- 400 grams potatoes diced 1cm
- 1 leek cut in half lengthways & thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 broccoli head cut into florets, stalk diced
- 1 drizzle oil
- 1½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp dried chives
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- 3 tsp vegetable stock powder
- 6 cups water
- 250 grams frozen peas
- 350 grams ciabatta loaf
- 1/4 cup cheese grated
- 1 handful spicy pepitas
- 1 bunch mint leaves picked
- Before you start, preheat oven to 220°C (or 200°C fan bake).
- Prep potatoes, leek and garlic. Dice broccoli stalks. Cut broccoli heads into small florets and set aside separately.
- Heat oil in a large pot on medium-high heat. Add potatoes, leek, garlic, broccoli stalks and salt to pot and cook for about 6 minutes until leek is tender. Add garlic powder, chives, oregano and stock powder and cook for 1 minute, until fragrant. Add water to pot, bring to the boil and simmer for about 12 minutes, until veggies are nearly tender.
- Add broccoli florets to pot and cook for about 6 minutes, until tender. Add peas and cook for 2 minutes. Remove soup from heat and leave to cool slightly before blending with a stick blender or food processor. Alternatively, mash with a potato masher. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- While soup is cooking, place bread on an oven tray and bake for about 5 minutes, until toasted. Slice. Grate cheese.
- Serve soup topped with cheese, spicy pepitas and mint. Serve bread on the side.
Meet the Chef
Say hello to Gemma ‘Mint’ our Development Kitchen Manager. She’s all the way from the sunny Hawkes Bay and is the brain behind many of our new bags. She’s a lover of Hawkes Bay apples and golden peaches, having grown up in the region, it takes her right back to her childhood. However, her favourite foods are dumplings and freshly baked bread. Gemma loves how she gets to be involved in all the new projects in her role and how we’re constantly creating and evolving with our foodies.