Chinese Chicken and Cabbage Salad with Ginger, Soy, Sesame and Honey
Shredded cabbage, carrot and spring onion, tossed with delicious chicken coated in Chinese five-spice and a soy, sesame, honey dressing makes a delicious, healthy lunch with lots of crunch and flavour. To speed things up even more you could use a rotisserie chicken from the supermarket. This recipe is from Nadia Lim's Fresh Start, Feel Good cookbook!
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 200g) or 200-250g firm tofu
- ¾ tsp Chinese five-spice powder
- 1 tsp oil
- 2½-3 cups finely shredded cabbage (use either green cabbage or Chinese wong bok)
- 1 carrot, peeled and coarsely grated, shredded or julienned
- 3 spring onions, green part only, shredded
- ¼-½ cup chopped coriander (optional)
- 2 tsp toasted sesame seeds
- 1 tsp peeled and finely julienned fresh ginger
- 4-5 Tbsp Asian dressing (see below)
- 2 Tbsp chopped roasted cashew nuts
- ½ lime, cut into wedges
- Pat chicken/tofu dry with paper towels and coat in five-spice powder. Season well with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large fry-pan on medium-high heat. Cook chicken for about 5 minutes, or tofu for about 3 minutes, until cooked through and golden on all sides. Set chicken aside on a plate to rest for 5-10 minutes before slicing or shredding.
- Toss chicken/tofu with all other salad ingredients (except dressing, cashew nuts and lime) and any resting juices from cooking the chicken. Just before eating, toss through dressing and sprinkle with cashew nuts. Serve with lime wedges to squeeze over.
Nutrition information: Energy: 303cals (1265kJ) Protein: 25.5g Carbohydrate: 17.1g (14.9g sugars) Fat: 13.6g (2.8g saturated fat) Asian Dressing: Place 3 tablespoons soy sauce, 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon or lime juice, 1½ tablespoons sweet chilli sauce or runny honey, 2 teaspoons rice wine vinegar and ½ teaspoon sesame oil (optional) in a jar, screw lid on tight and shake to mix all ingredients together. Makes ½ cup.