Chicken Cacciatore with Cauliflower Parsley Mash
A warming, comforting stew of chicken, mushrooms, celery and a bit of bacon for extra flavour. It's delicious served with a creamy cauliflower mash to soak up all the juices, and steamed vegetables. This recipe is from Nadia Lim's Fresh Start, Feel Good cookbook!
- 500 g boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into quarters
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 slices lean shoulder or mid-eye bacon, rind removed, diced
- 250g punnet button mushrooms, cut into quarters
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 red capsicum, cored and thinly sliced
- 2 sticks celery or 1 fennel bulb, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1½ Tbsp chopped rosemary leaves
- 1 tsp dried oregano or mixed herbs
- 100 ml dry white wine, verjuice or chicken stock
- 400 g can crushed tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 8-10 pitted black or green olives, cut in half
- ¼ cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
Cauliflower Parsley Mash
- 500 grams cauliflower chopped
- 300 grams agria potatoes peeled and chopped
- 1 Tbsp butter or extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ small clove garlic finely minced
- ¼-½ cup finely chopped parsley
- Sautéed vegetables
- Pat chicken dry with paper towels. Heat ½ tsp of the olive oil in a large fry-pan on medium-high heat. Season chicken with salt and pan-fry in two batches, adding remaining oil in between, for 1-2 minutes on each side until golden brown (it does not have to be cooked all the way through). Set chicken aside on a plate and keep pan on the heat.
- Add bacon, mushrooms, onion, capsicum and celery/fennel to the pan, with a good pinch of salt, and cook for about 6 minutes, until vegetables are soft. Add garlic, rosemary and dried herbs, and continue cooking for 2 minutes or so.
- Add wine/verjuice/stock and bring to the boil for a minute or two, then stir in crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, red wine vinegar, browned chicken and olives. Simmer for 8-10 minutes until sauce has slightly thickened and chicken is cooked through. Season to taste with salt and pepper and scatter parsley on top.
- Serve with cauliflower parsley mash and sautéed vegetables.
Cauliflower Parsley Mash
- Place cauliflower, potato and a good pinch of salt in a pot, cover with water and bring to the boil. Cook for 10-12 minutes or until tender.
- Drain well, tip back into pot and place back on low heat for a few minutes – this will help the potato and cauliflower to dry out a little.
- Mash with butter / oil, garlic, parsley and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Nutrition information – Chicken Cacciatore: Energy: 436cals (1821kJ) Protein: 37.9g Carbohydrate: 26.9g (13.7g sugars) Fat: 15.1g (3.7g saturated fat) Nutrition information – Cauliflower Parsley Mash: Energy: 127cals (530kJ) Protein: 4.8g Carbohydrate: 16.5g (4.4g sugars) Fat: 3.9g (0.7g saturated fat)