Creamy White Bean Pasta with Hazelnut Brown Butter
Hazelnut Brown Butter
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 2-3 Tbsp sage (or rosemary) leaves picked
- 3 Tbsp hazelnuts
- 300 grams dried pasta e.g. rigatoni, penne
- Drizzle of oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 can cannellini beans drained and rinsed
- Juice of 1 lemon
- ¼ tsp salt
- Before you start, bring a pot of salted water to the boil.
- Make brown butter. Melt butter in a medium pot on medium heat. When foaming, add sage and hazelnuts and cook for about 2 minutes, until golden brown. Swirl pot often to prevent burning. Remove butter from pot and set aside for serving.
- Cook pasta. Add pasta to pot of boiling water and cook for 8 minutes, until almost cooked.
- Make sauce. Return reserved pan to medium heat with oil. Add garlic and fry for about 30 seconds, until fragrant. Add cannellini beans, lemon juice, salt and ½ cup of water from pasta pot and mash, until smooth. Mixture will be quite wet.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes, until beans have thickened. When pasta has cooked, drain and add pasta straight to pot with beans. Cook for about 2 minutes, until pasta is tender and sauce clings to it. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve pasta topped with hazelnut brown butter.
Meet the Chef
Amber ‘Agria’ is the brain and taste buds behind our Gourmet and Fresh Start Bags! Her favourite part of the role? Creating the recipes and eating them, of course! When it comes to local, New Zealand produce, Amber sure is a pro. Her favourite has to be asparagus, so she’s especially happy when asparagus season rolls around.