Broccoli and Peanut Noodles with Sesame Avocado
The broccolini/broccoli in this dish is only lightly cooked so it still retains its freshness and a bit of crunch. Soba noodles overcook easily too, so be sure to time and taste test them while cooking and drain them as soon as they're done. To turn this into a more substantial, protein-packed meal, serve with a piece of seared salmon, chicken, some tofu or toss through a cup of edamame beans. This recipe is from Nadia Lim's Fresh Start, Feel Good cookbook!
- 1 bunch (200-250g) broccolini or 1 medium head broccoli
- 1 bunch (80g) soba noodles
- 1½-2 cups shredded green cabbage or baby bok choy
- ¼-⅓ cup chopped roasted peanuts
- 1 Tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- Flesh of 1 firm ripe avocado, halved
- 1 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- ⅓ cup Asian Dressing (see recipe below)
- ¼-½ cup chopped coriander
- 1 lime cut into wedges (optional)
- Bring a medium-to-large pot of water to the boil. If using broccolini, cut any with thicker stems in half length-ways; if using broccoli, chop into bite size florets. Boil broccolini/broccoli and noodles (snapped in half) for no more than 3 minutes (to avoid overcooking), drain, then run under cold water to stop the cooking process and drain again.
- Toss broccolini/broccoli, noodles, cabbage/bok choy, peanuts and 1 teaspoon of the sesame seeds together. Sprinkle remaining toasted sesame seeds over avocado half.
- When ready to serve, toss noodle salad with extra-virgin olive oil and dressing.
- Divide salad and avocado between plates and scatter with coriander. Serve with lime wedges (if using) to squeeze½ over just before eating.
Nutrition information: Energy: 443cals (1850kJ) Protein: 15.2g Carbohydrate: 38.3g (7.9g sugars) Fat: 23.2g (3.2g saturated fat) Asian Dressing: Place 3 tablespoons soy sauce, 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon or lime juice, 1½ tablespoons sweet chilli sauce or runny honey, 2 teaspoons rice wine vinegar and ½ teaspoon sesame oil (optional) in a jar, screw lid on tight and shake to mix all ingredients together. Makes ½ cup.