Spiced Quinoa & Currant Pilaf with Roasted Cauliflower, Maple Tahini Drizzle & Almond Salsa
This Spiced Quinoa & Currant Pilaf with Roasted Cauliflower, Maple Tahini Drizzle & Almond Salsa recipe is an absolute treat. You'll be going back to the Maple Tahini Drizzle recipe again and again, it's perfect on summer salads, roasted eggplant and anything Middle Eastern-inspired!
- ½ cup white quinoa
- 1 tsp ras el hanout (or ½ tsp ground cumin, ¼ tsp ground coriander, ⅛ tsp cinnamon and ⅛ tsp turmeric)
- 1 clove garlic thinly sliced
- ¾ cup vegetable stock
- 2 Tbsp dried currants or dried cranberries
Roast Cauliflower and Chickpeas
- ½ cauliflower chopped into florets until you have around 3 cups worth
- 1 can chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp each whole cumin seeds, whole coriander seeds and whole nigella seeds
- 2 Tbsp tahini
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp coconut yoghurt optional
- 2 Tbsp water
- 50g roasted almonds roughly chopped (any type of nut would work well)
- 1 bunch coriander roughly chopped
- Zest of half a lemon
- 100g hummus
- Large handful of leafy greens rocket is great
- Pomegranate arils optional
- Pre-heat oven to 220°C. Heat a drizzle of oil in a saucepan on medium-high heat. Cook quinoa, spices and garlic for 2-3 minutes, until fragrant. Add stock, currants and a pinch of salt and bring to the boil. Once boiling, cover with a lid and reduce to low heat to cook for 15 minutes. Turn off heat and steam, covered, for 8 more minutes. Do not lift lid during cooking. Fluff grains with a fork and season to taste.
- Toss all roasted cauliflower and chickpea ingredients together on a lined oven tray with ½ tsp salt. Season with pepper and roast for 20-25 minutes, until cauliflower is golden and tender.
- Combine all tahini ingredients together in a small bowl with a pinch of salt. Season to taste.
- To serve, combine almonds, herbs and lemon zest together in a small bowl with a drizzle of olive oil. Season to taste. Spread hummus over plates and top with rocket, quinoa pilaf and roasted cauliflower and chickpeas. Drizzle with tahini sauce and garnish with more herbs if desired. Pomegranate arils would be great with this dish!