Superfood Salad with Pan-Fried Halloumi and Avocado Dressing
This salad is packed to the brim with goodness, with lots of fresh super-nutritious vegetables, a creamy avocado dressing, seeds and quinoa. Topped with some golden pan-fried halloumi. It's delicious and will make you feel great! This recipe is from Nadia Lim's Fresh Start, Feel Good cookbook!
- ½ cup quinoa (white, red or black)
- ¾ cup water
- 100-120 g curly kale
- 1 medium beetroot
- 2 carrots
- 3 baby radishes
- 1 cup sauerkraut
- ½ cup finely chopped parsley
- 6-8 pitted medjool dates, chopped
- 1 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ lemon, juiced
- ½ avocado
- ½ lemon, juiced
- ½ small clove garlic, minced
- ¼ cup cold water
Halloumi and sunflower seeds
- ¼ cup sunflower seeds
- ½ tsp olive oil
- 200 g halloumi, cut into 12 slices
- In a small pot, bring quinoa, water and a good pinch of salt to the boil. As soon as it is boiling, cover with a tight-fitted lid and reduce to low heat to cook for 15 minutes. Turn off heat and leave (still covered) to finish steaming for 5 minutes. Remove lid, fluff up grains with a fork and leave to cool slightly.
- While quinoa is cooking, prep vegetables. Strip kale leaves from their tough stalks and finely slice; discard stalks. Peel and coarsely grate or shred beetroot; peel and coarsely grate or shred carrots; thinly slice radishes. Place all in a bowl, along with sauerkraut, parsley and dates.
- Blend all avocado dressing ingredients in a blender until smooth, season to taste with salt and pepper and more lemon juice, if needed. Set aside.
- Add quinoa to salad bowl, drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil and lemon juice and gently toss to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- In a small dry fry-pan, toast sunflower seeds on medium heat for about 2 minutes, moving the pan around frequently, until lightly toasted. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large non-stick fry-pan on medium heat. Pan-fry halloumi for 1-2 minutes on each side until golden.
- To serve, divide salad between plates, top with 3 slices of halloumi per portion, drizzle with avocado dressing and scatter with toasted sunflower seeds.