#loveyourleftovers! Here’s another way to use up leftover veggies — in a delicious veggie bake with layers of cheesy sauce!
3/4 butternut pumpkin, peeled and diced 1cm
1/4 cauliflower, cut into small florets
1/2 broccoli, cut into small florets
1 clove garlic, minced
3/4 brown onion, diced 1cm
125g mushrooms, quartered or cut into sixth
1 cup frozen peas
1 egg, whisked
150g lite cottage cheese
1/2 cup milk
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1. Preheat oven to 220°C.
2. Prep & roast veggies. Toss pumpkin, cauliflower and broccoli in a medium oven dish with 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp olive oil. Roast for about 15 minutes, until beginning to soften.
3. Cook mushrooms. Heat 1/2 tsp oil in a fry-pan on medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook for 1–2 minutes, until beginning to soften. Add mushrooms and cook a further 2–3 minutes. Add peas and cook for a further 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
4. Make sauce. Mix egg, cottage cheese, milk and 1 tsp salt together in a bowl.
5. Assemble & cook bake. Evenly top pumpkin with mushroom onion mixture then pour over sauce. Top with Parmesan cheese. Return to oven to bake for about 25 minutes, until vegetables are tender and top is golden. Allow to sit for 5 minutes before serving.
6. Serve veggie bake as is, or with a side of greens.
Nutritional Info (per serve)
Energy (kJ): 1612
Energy (Cal): 385
Carbohydrate (g): 30.7
Protein (g): 33.8
Fat (g): 11.5
Saturated Fat (g): 5.1
Sugars (g): 22.8
Click here to return to Fresh Start Blog