#loveyourleftovers. This salad makes the perfect work lunch! Layer the salad with the leafy greens on top so they don’t get crushed and the lentils in a separate container so you can heat them up and you’re good to go!
¼ onion, finely diced
½ carrot, grated
½ punnet mushrooms, thinly sliced
½ clove garlic, minced
1 tsp cumin
½ tsp oregano
1 tsp smoked paprika
Pinch of chilli powder or flakes
¾ cup veggie stock
¾ can brown lentils, drained and rinsed
½ tomato, diced
1 cup frozen corn
2 handfuls leafy greens, slaw or chopped lettuce
½ capsicum, diced
½ punnet cherry tomatoes, halved (or 1 tomato, diced)
½ avocado, diced
½ lemon or lime, cut into wedges
- Bring a full kettle of water to the boil.
2. Prep & cook lentils. Heat ½ tsp oil in a fry-pan on medium heat. Cook onion, carrot and mushrooms with a pinch of salt for 3–4 minutes, until beginning to soften. Add garlic, cumin, oregano, paprika, chilli and ½ tsp salt and cook for about 1 minute, until fragrant. Add stock, allow to bubble then add lentils and tomato. Cook a further 3 minutes, until heated through and liquid has evaporated slightly.
3. Cook corn. In a heat-proof bowl, cover corn with boiling water and allow to cook for about 2 minutes. Drain well and season.
4. Prep serving ingredients.
5. Assemble bowls. Fill bowls with greens, corn, lentils, capsicum, tomatoes and avocado. Squeeze over lemon/lime and season with salt and pepper.
Tip, add some shredded cooked chicken, feta cheese or lite sour cream for a little protein booster.
Nutritional Info (per serve)
Energy (kJ): 1438
Energy (Cal): 344
Carbohydrate (g): 36.3
Protein (g): 13.5
Fat (g): 13.9
Saturated Fat (g): 2.0
Sugars (g): 8.1
Click here to return to Fresh Start Blog