#loveyourleftovers. These burgers are packed with plant based protein, fibre, folate and iron. A crisp cos lettuce cup is the perfect pairing for your Mexican feast. A delicious Fresh Start friendly solution for your next Summer BBQ!
½ x 400g can lentils, drained and rinsed
¾ x 400g can black beans, drained and rinsed
¼ brown onion, diced
1 egg, whisked
3 Tbsp wholemeal breadcrumbs
2 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp ground cumin
½ cup frozen corn
¼ avocado, diced
1 tomato, diced 1cm
½ cos lettuce, leaves separated
2 Tbsp lite sour cream
- Preheat oven to 210°C.
- Prep & make mixture. Add all patty ingredients and 1 tsp salt to a food processor and blend for about 1 minute, until combined.
- Using about 2 tablespoons worth, roll mixture into balls then flatten into patties, about 1cm thick. Place on a lined oven tray, brush with ½ tsp oil and set aside in fridge for at least 10 minutes to firm up.
- Bake patties. After patties have chilled, transfer to oven to bake for 20–22 minutes, until golden and cooked through. Turn once during cooking.
- Prep & make salsa. While patties cook, cook corn in pot of boiling water for about 1 minute. Drain, rinse under cold water and drain again well. Add to bowl, along with avocado, tomato and a small drizzle of vinegar. Season.
- Prep serving ingredients.
- Serve lettuce leaves filled with patties, salsa and sour cream.
Tip, to save turning the oven on, pan-fry patties for about 2 minutes each side on medium-high heat, until cooked through.
Nutritional Info (per serve)
Energy (kJ): 1569
Energy (Cal): 375
Carbohydrate (g): 44.1
Protein (g): 19.3
Fat (g): 12.2
Saturated Fat (g): 2.6
Sugars (g): 5.9
Click here to return to Fresh Start Blog