#loveyourleftovers. Warm your soul with these beautiful baked beans! Packed with veggie goodness, these beans are a delicious, nourishing twist on a classic. Perfect for breakfast, light lunch or a hearty snack!
¼ brown onion, finely diced
½ clove garlic, minced (optional)
1 Tbsp tomato paste
Pinch of dried Italian herbs
½ can cherry tomatoes
¾ can mixed beans, drained and rinsed
1 tsp balsamic vinegar
¼ tsp honey or maple syrup (optional)
1 handful leafy greens (e.g. spinach, baby kale)
1 tsp white vinegar
1 Tbsp torn parsley or basil
- Bring a small pot of water to a rolling boil.
- Prep & cook beans. Heat 1/4 tsp oil in a medium pot on medium heat. Add onion, garlic and a pinch of salt and cook, stirring, for 2–3 minutes, until soft. Add tomato paste and herbs and cook for a further 30 seconds, until fragrant.
- Add 1/4 tsp salt and beans and cook for 1 minute, then add tomatoes, vinegar and honey or maple syrup and bring to a simmer. Allow to simmer for 4–5 minutes, until sauce has thickened.
- Poach egg. While beans are simmering, add vinegar to pot of water, stir to start a whirlpool in water then crack in egg. Leave to poach for about 1 minute, until whites are cooked and yolk has set. Remove egg from water using a slotted spoon and allow to drain excess water.
- Finish beans. Fold through leafy greens to wilt and season to taste.
To serve, spoon beans into a bowl and top with egg and fresh herbs.
Nutritional Info (per serve)
Energy (kJ): 1301
Energy (Cal): 311
Carbohydrate (g): 34.8
Protein (g): 22.4
Fat (g): 9.4
Saturated Fat (g): 1.8
Sugars (g): 13.3
Click here to return to Fresh Start Blog