This eggplant hummus is the perfect addition to any seasonal platter. Rich smoky flavour pairs beautifully with the crisp crunch of fresh veggies. Serve with red and green veggies for an extra Christmassy feel!
Smoky Eggplant Hummus
- 1 eggplant, cut into thick slices
- 1 x 400g can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- ½–1 clove garlic, chopped
- 2 Tbsp parsley, chopped
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- Pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
- Juice ½ lemon
- 2 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 220°C.
- Cook eggplant. Place eggplant on a lined oven tray, season well with salt and brush with 1/2 tsp oil. Roast for about 20 minutes, turning once, until tender. Allow to cool for at least 10 minutes.
- Make hummus. Once eggplant has cooled, add chickpeas, garlic, pepper, paprika, cayenne, lemon juice, parsley and 1 tsp salt to a food processor. Blend for about 1 minute, until it begins to reach a smooth consistency.
- Add eggplant and oil to food processor and blend a further 30 seconds, until combined.
- Enjoy with crudites, lavosh or seedy crackers, or as a salad topper or sandwich filling. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Energy (kJ): 401
Energy (Cal): 96
Carbohydrate (g): 12.0
Protein (g): 4.0
Fat (g): 2.9