#loveyourleftovers. Warm up with a bowl of corn chowder – the ultimate comfort food! This recipe is bursting with flavour, the ultimate pairing of creamy, spicy and sour. Add your favourite seafood for extra nourishment!
2–3 tsp olive oil
¼–½ tsp chilli powder or flakes (optional)
1 tsp cumin
1 brown onion, roughly diced
2–3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tsp salt
4½ cups frozen corn
1 capsicum, diced 1cm
2–3 tomatoes, diced 1cm
2 cups unsweetened almond milk
½ tsp salt
Juice of 1 lime
½ cup chopped coriander
1. Prep & cook soup. Add oil, chilli and cumin to a large pot over low heat and cook for 4–5 minutes, until fragrant.
2. Add onion to pot, increase heat to medium and cook, stirring, for 4–5 minutes, until soft. Add a dash of water if spice starts to catch.
3. Add corn (still frozen), garlic and first measure of salt and cook, stirring, for a further 5 minutes.
4. Remove 2 cups of the mixture and set aside (this will be blended shortly in a blender).
5. Add capsicum and tomatoes to pot. Reduce the heat to low-medium and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
6. Blend corn mixture. Add reserved corn mixture to a food processor or blender and blend for about 1 minute. Add 1 cup of the almond milk and blend a further 1 minute, until smooth. Return corn/milk mixture to pot. Stir through remaining milk and second measure of salt. Simmer a further 5–6 minutes, until hot through. Stir through lime juice and season to taste.
7. To serve, ladle into bowls and top with coriander.
Nutritional Info (per serve)
Energy (kJ): 1118
Energy (Cal): 267
Carbohydrate (g): 39.3
Protein (g): 7.3
Fat (g): 7.3
Saturated Fat (g): 1.0
Sugars (g): 10.4
Click here to return to Fresh Start Blog