Originating from Jamaica and named after the national bird, this cake is a tropical combination of banana, pineapple and coconut. Our Fresh Start twist swaps out flour for almond meal. We have lightened up the traditional cream cheese icing with a refreshing and tart yoghurt/cream cheese base, balancing out the natural sweetness of the fruit and honey. Happy baking!
2 medium, ripe bananas, mashed
4 eggs, whisked
½ cup honey
1/3 cup olive oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp baking soda
1¼ cups almond meal
1¼ cups coconut thread
425g can crushed pineapple (in juice, refined sugar free), drained
½ cup pecans, roughly chopped
½ cup lite cream cheese
½ cup plain, unsweetened Greek yoghurt
½ tsp vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease two circular cake tins (measuring about 20cm in diameter) and line with baking paper.
2. Mix banana, eggs, honey, oil, vanilla and baking soda in a large bowl until well combined. Fold through almond meal, coconut, pineapple and pecans until just combined.
3. Divide the batter evenly between the prepared tins and bake for 25–30 minutes, until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
4. Allow cakes to cool for about 20 minutes before turning out onto wire racks to cool completely.
5. Once cool, make icing. Add all yoghurt icing ingredients to a medium, deep bowl and lightly beat together using an electric beater until thick and combined.
6. Using an icing spatula or butter knife, spoon ½ of the icing on the top of one of the cakes and spread over top. Place second cake evenly on top, then cover the top cake in remaining icing. Decorate if desired.
Nutritional Info (per serve)
Energy (kJ): 1144
Energy (Cal): 274
Carbohydrate (g): 19.7
Protein (g): 5.4
Fat (g): 19.3
Saturated Fat (g): 6.6
Sugars (g): 17.9
Click here to return to Fresh Start Blog