This is a great recipe for the weekend or to make and refrigerate in portions, perfect for a work-day lunch.
200g peeled pumpkin, diced 1cm (or use orange kumara)
2 carrots, cut in half lengthways then diced 1cm
1 brown onion, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
½ teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons oil, for roasting (or use spray oil)
2–3 handfuls baby spinach leaves (or use large leaf spinach or silverbeet leaves)
50g sundried tomatoes
1 x 400g can chickpeas
6 eggs (at room temperature)
250g low fat cottage cheese
½ teaspoon salt
100g feta cheese
¼ cup mixed pumpkin and sunflower seeds
1 clove garlic
½ teaspoon oil, for cooking (or use spray oil)
2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
4 handfuls leafy greens (e.g. mesclun, baby kale, baby spinach, rocket)
Preheat oven to 220oC. Line an oven tray with baking paper. Line a medium oven dish (measuring about 20 x 25cm) with greaseproof paper.
1. Toss pumpkin, carrots, onion and spices with first measures of salt and oil on prepared tray and season with pepper. Bake for about 15 minutes, until tender and slightly caramelised. Turn once during cooking.
2. While pumpkin cooks, roughly chop spinach and chop sundried tomatoes. Drain and rinse chickpeas, then pat dry with paper towels and set aside.
3. In a large bowl, whisk eggs, cottage cheese and salt together until combined. Crumble in feta and add sundried tomatoes.
4. Remove pumpkin from oven and toss through spinach and chickpeas. Return to oven to wilt spinach for 1 minute. Add all cooked vegetables to bowl with eggs and stir to combine. Season with pepper and transfer to baking dish. Top with seeds and bake for 25–30 minutes, until set and slightly golden on top.
5. While frittata is baking, finely chop garlic and dice tomatoes 1–2cm. Heat second measure of oil in a small fry-pan on medium-high heat. Cook garlic and tomatoes for about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally, until softened. Add balsamic vinegar and cook a further 1 minute, until tomatoes just start to break down. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
To serve, cut frittata into 4 and place one piece onto each plate. Top with balsamic tomatoes and serve leafy greens on the side.
Nutritional Info (per serve)
Energy (kJ): 1705
Energy (Cal): 408
Carbohydrate (g): 20.1
Protein (g): 28.5
Fat (g): 21.0
Saturated Fat (g): 6.4
Sugars (g): 12.1
Click here to return to Fresh Start.