This is a great meal to make in bulk and freeze in 4 portions, perfect for winter lunches or dinners on the run. Make this broth your own with multiple variations. Add 2 tablespoons finely grated fresh ginger and or finely chopped lemongrass when you add the garlic, for a fragrant, Asian inspired soup. Taste the flavours of Japan and do not use salt and instead stir through miso paste (3–4 tablespoons) at the end and season with soy sauce. You could also add your favourite chilli sauce, chilli flakes of fresh chilli for a spicy kick.
4 bone in, skin on whole chicken legs
6 cups water
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 bunch fresh thyme, kept in sprigs
1½ teaspoons salt
3 stalks celery
¼ cup chopped parsley leaves and stalks
2–3 handfuls chopped leafy greens (e.g. spinach, kale, silverbeet etc.)
- Pat chicken dry with paper towels. Use hands to peel away skin and a knife or kitchen scissors to completely remove and discard. Place chicken in a large pot and cover with cold water. Bring to a simmer on high heat. As soon as liquid is simmering, drain chicken and discard liquid. Wipe pot clean with paper towels.
2. Return chicken to pot and add measure of water, garlic, thyme (whole sprigs) and salt. Bring to a simmer on high heat and as soon as it is simmering, reduce to lowest heat to very gently simmer for about 25 minutes, until chicken is cooked through, tender and falling off the bone.
3. While chicken is simmering, prepare the vegetables. Cut leek in half lengthways and thinly slice; peel carrots, cut into quarters lengthways and dice 1cm; thinly slice celery.
4. When soup has about 15 minutes cook time remaining, add vegetables. Simmer for the remaining 15 minutes, until tender. Turn off heat.
5. When chicken is cooked and tender, use tongs to remove from soup and place in a bowl, allowing to cool slightly. Add leafy greens to pot to wilt. When chicken is cool enough to handle, use hands or tongs to remove all flesh from chicken, discarding bones. Roughly shred flesh and return to pot.
6. Stir parsley through broth and season to taste with lots of freshly ground black pepper.
To serve, ladle about 2 cups of chicken and vegetable broth into bowls. Remove and discard any thyme sprigs.
Nutritional Info (per serve)
Energy (kJ): 1518
Energy (Cal): 363
Carbohydrate (g): 3.9
Protein (g): 36.4
Fat (g): 22.0
Saturated Fat (g): 6.9
Sugars (g): 3.3
Click here to return to Fresh Start.