The Perfect Roast Potato
600g agria potatoes, peeled
2 cups chicken stock
3 cloves garlic, peeled
½ teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon finely chopped rosemary
3 tablespoons duck fat OR olive oil
Preheat oven to 220°C. Line an oven tray with baking paper. Prepare ingredients.
1. Dice potatoes 3cm and place in a large pot along with chicken stock, garlic and salt. Add water to just cover the potatoes.
2. Place on high heat and bring to the boil. Boil potatoes for 4 minutes and drain well (potatoes will not be cooked at this stage). Leave potatoes in strainer to steam for 3 minutes to help them dry out a little.
3. Return to pot along with rosemary, cover with a lid and gently shake potatoes until edges are slightly roughed up. This well help potatoes get a nice crispy edge in the oven. While potatoes steam, place duck fat on prepared tray and place in the oven, to melt, for about 30 seconds.
4. Carefully remove tray from oven and add fluffed up potatoes. Toss in duck fat and season with salt and pepper.
5. Roast potatoes for 30-35 minutes, only turning once at the 15-minute mark, until potatoes are golden and crispy. Remove garlic and season with salt.
To serve, serve roast potatoes with your favourite roast or on their own with garlic aioli or hollandaise.