Ready in: 60 min
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 45 min
600g rhubarb (ends trimmed)
3 apples 350g
Blue Frog Kaipara kumara maple and mixed spice crumble
1/2 cup caster sugar
2 tablespoons + cup water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract or essence
Preheat oven to 100°C. Grease a large rectangular baking dish (approximately 30cm x 20cm).
1. Rinse and slice rhubarb 2cm. Peel apples and dice 1.5cm. Keeping crumble in the bag, bang with a rolling pin to break into slightly smaller pieces. Set all aside.
2. Stir sugar and first measure (2 tablespoons) of water together in a medium (ideally heavybased) pot. Place on high heat for 4–6 minutes, without stirring, until sugar begins to caramelise and turns golden.
3. Add second measure (1/4 cup) of water and vanilla extract/ essence to pot. Be careful when adding as the mixture can bubble and spit. Stir to dissolve syrup and add rhubarb and apples.
4. Reduce heat to medium-high and cook rhubarb and apples for 6–7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until rhubarb and apple begin to soften but still hold a little shape. The liquid should thicken and be a syrupy consistency.
5. Pour rhubarb and apple into prepared baking dish and evenly cover with Kaipara kumara maple and mixed spice crumble. Bake in oven for a minimum of 30 minutes and allow to warm through. The crumble can remain in the oven for up to 2 hours while you prepare the rest of the meal.
To serve, spoon a serving of Kaipara kumara and rhubarb crumble into individual serving bowls with a dollop of mascarpone.