Caramel and White Chocolate Crème Caramels with Nectarines
1/3 cup white sugar
3 tablespoons water
300ml Puhoi Valley caramel white chocolate milk
½ teaspoon vanilla essence
2 teaspoons sugar or golden syrup
1 small knob butter
2 just-ripe nectarines, stone removed, sliced
2 teaspoons brown sugar or runny honey
Whipped cream or yoghurt, to serve (optional)
YOU’LL ALSO NEED
2 x large ramekins or heat-proof tea cups
PREHEAT oven to 150°C.
1. To make the caramel, place sugar and water in a small fry-pan on low heat, until sugar is dissolved. Increase heat to medium and simmer/bubble until a caramel colour, without stirring (to avoid it crystallising) – this will take about 5 minutes.
2. Remove from heat and pour, dividing equally, into two large ramekins or heat-proof tea cups. Set aside to cool (on the bench) for about 10 minutes until caramel is set.
3. Once the caramel has set, grease the sides of the ramekins (above the caramel) with butter.
4. To make the custard, place Puhoi Valley caramel white chocolate milk in a small pot and heat gently on low heat. Whatever you do, do not let it come to the boil (the milk should not be so hot that you can’t dip your finger into it)! Whisk eggs, vanilla essence and sugar/golden syrup in a medium bowl. Pour in warmed milk, while whisking continuously, until smooth. Pour mixture into ramekins on top of caramel, dividing equally.
5. Place ramekins in a deep-sided roasting or baking dish and fill the dish up halfway with boiling water. Bake for 20–25 minutes until custard is just set – it should still have a slight wobble in the middle. Allow to cool on bench, then leave in fridge for at least 3 hours or overnight to allow the custards to absorb the caramel.
6. When ready to serve, loosen the bottom and sides of the crème caramel by dipping the base in hot water and lightly running the edge of a small sharp knife around the edges, then turn out onto serving plates.
7. To caramelise the nectarines, heat butter in a fry-pan on medium heat. Add nectarine slices and sugar/honey and cook for 1–2 minutes until slightly caramelised.
TO SERVE, spoon caramelised nectarines on top of crème caramels. Serve with whipped cream or yoghurt, if desired.