1 cup quick cook oats
¾ cup desiccated coconut
1 cup wholemeal flour
¾ cup white or brown sugar
125g butter, cut into pieces
1 tablespoon golden syrup or runny honey
1 teaspoon baking soda
5 tablespoons boiling water
PREHEAT oven to 180°C. Bring a half full kettle to the boil. Line two oven trays with baking paper.
1. Place oats, desiccated coconut, flour and sugar in a large bowl.
2. Combine butter and golden syrup/honey in a small pot on low-medium heat and stir until melted. In a small dish, mix baking soda and boiling water together until baking soda is dissolved. Stir into butter mixture.
3. Stir butter mixture through dry ingredients until well combined. Use damp hands to roll tablespoons of mixture into about 20 balls. Place on prepared trays, 5cm apart. Flatten to ½ cm with a damp fork.
4. Bake cookies for 8–10 minutes, until golden brown. Swap trays halfway through to ensure even cooking. Remove from oven and cool on trays. Cookies will firm up as they cool. Remove from trays to completely cool on a rack. If you prefer a crunchier cookie, cook for 3–4 more minutes.
5. Store in an airtight container.