2 cups self-raising flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
¾ cup caster sugar
2 tablespoons poppy seeds
¾ cup milk
½ cup oil (e.g. canola)
Juice of 2 oranges
Zest of 3 oranges
Juice of 1 orange
¼ cup caster sugar
PREHEAT oven to 200°C. Lightly grease and line a loaf tin with baking paper.
1. Sift flour and baking powder into a large bowl. Stir through caster sugar and poppy seeds and make a well in the centre.
2. In a separate bowl, whisk the milk and eggs together. Stir through the oil, orange juice and zest.
3. Combine the wet mixture with the dry mixture and stir well.
4. Spoon the mixture into the prepared loaf tin. Bake for 45–50 minutes or until golden and a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Remove from oven and allow to stand in the tin while you make the syrup.
5. To make the glaze, combine orange juice and sugar together and pour over loaf while warm. Allow to cool slightly before turning onto a wire rack to cool completely.
TO SERVE, cut into thick slices and serve with butter.